Samurais are legendary warriors known for their skill with swords and unwavering loyalty. In the world of Dungeons and Dragons, becoming a samurai is a great way to create a formidable character that excels in combat. With the right build, samurais can dish out a ton of damage while still being able to take hits. Here is a guide to creating a 5e samurai build that will help you become a master swordsman.
What is a 5e Samurai?
Samurais are a class in Dungeons and Dragons that were introduced in the Xanathar’s Guide to Everything supplement. They are a subclass of the Fighter class that focuses on combat with melee weapons, particularly swords.
Their abilities are centered around the idea of a warrior who has trained their whole life to become a master swordsman. They are known for their precision strikes, unwavering courage, and ability to inspire their allies to fight harder.
How to Build a 5e Samurai
Building a 5e samurai requires careful consideration of your character’s abilities and stats. Here is a step-by-step guide to building a samurai:
Step 1: Choose Your Race
The race you choose will impact your character’s stats and abilities. For a samurai, you’ll want to choose a race that gives you a bonus to either Strength or Dexterity, as those are the two primary stats for a samurai. Some good options include:
|Human||Choose a bonus to either Strength or Dexterity|
|Half-Elf||+2 to Charisma, and +1 to either Strength or Dexterity|
|Dwarf||+2 to Constitution, and +1 to Strength|
Step 2: Choose Your Background
Your character’s background will give you additional skills and abilities that can be useful in combat. For a samurai, you might want to choose a background that gives you proficiency in Intimidation or Insight. Some good options include:
|Soldier||Proficiency in Intimidation and Athletics|
|Criminal||Proficiency in Stealth and Deception|
|Noble||Proficiency in History and Persuasion|
Step 3: Choose Your Fighting Style
As a samurai, you’ll want to choose the Two-Weapon Fighting style, which allows you to add your ability modifier to the damage of your off-hand weapon. This will give you a significant boost in damage output.
Step 4: Choose Your Samurai Abilities
Samurais have several unique abilities that make them powerful warriors. Here are the abilities you should focus on:
- Fighting Spirit: This ability allows you to gain advantage on all attack rolls for a turn, making it easier to hit your enemies and deal damage.
- Elegant Courtier: This ability gives you proficiency in either Persuasion or Performance, allowing you to influence others with your words and actions.
- Rapid Strike: This ability allows you to make an extra weapon attack as a bonus action, increasing your damage output even further.
- Strength Before Death: This ability allows you to stay conscious and keep fighting even when you would normally fall unconscious, giving you a chance to turn the tide of battle.
Step 5: Choose Your Feats
Feats are special abilities that can give you a significant advantage in combat. For a samurai, you might want to choose the following feats:
- Great Weapon Master: This feat allows you to make an additional attack as a bonus action when you score a critical hit or reduce an enemy to 0 hit points. It also allows you to take a -5 penalty to your attack roll in exchange for a +10 bonus to damage.
- Martial Adept: This feat allows you to learn two combat maneuvers from the Battle Master subclass of the Fighter class. This can give you additional options in combat and make you a more versatile fighter.
What weapons should I use as a samurai?
As a samurai, you should focus on using swords, particularly the katana. You might also want to use a wakizashi as your off-hand weapon.
What armor should I wear as a samurai?
You should wear the heaviest armor you can afford, as this will give you the most protection in combat. Plate armor is a good option if you can afford it.
What stats should I focus on as a samurai?
As a samurai, you should focus on increasing your Strength and Dexterity, as these are the two primary stats for a samurai. You might also want to increase your Constitution to improve your durability in combat.
Building a 5e samurai requires careful consideration of your character’s abilities and stats. By focusing on Strength and Dexterity, choosing the right background and abilities, and selecting the right feats, you can create a samurai that is a master swordsman and a formidable opponent in combat.
Remember to choose the right weapons and armor, and always be ready to use your abilities to turn the tide of battle in your favor. With practice and dedication, you can become a true master of the samurai class.
Until next time, happy gaming!